Install Java, Universal Media Server
You find here the instructions to install Java on Plop Linux. You see also how to install the Universal Media Server, which requires Java to run.
When you only want to run Java programs, then you only need the JRE (Java Runtime Environment). When you also want to develop Java programs, then you need the JDK (Java Development Kit). The installation works for both in the same way. I describe here the installation of the JRE.
Note: When you already installed Java on Plop Linux, then remove the old '/usr/java' directory.
1. Download the tar.gz archive of JRE from the Oracle JRE Website.
2. Extract the archive. Example: tar xfvz jre-8u111-linux-x64.tar.gz
3. Move the extracted directory to '/usr/java'. Example: mv jre1.8.0_111 /usr/java
4. Add Java to your environment variables. Add at the end of your user file '~/.bash_profile' the lines
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/bin
5. Logout and login to activate the environment variable.
Install the Universal Media Server
Note: You need Java to run the Universal Media Server.
1. Download the Universal Media Server for Linux from http://www.universalmediaserver.com/.
2. Extract the Archive. Example: tar xfvz UMS-6.5.1-Java7.tgz
3. Move the extracted files to '/opt/ums'. Example: mv ums-6.5.1 /opt/ums
4. Create a symlink to the executable with 'ln -sf ../ums/UMS.sh /opt/bin/ums'.
5. Now you can start the Universal Media Server with 'ums'.
© 2018 by Elmar Hanlhofer